Vous êtes ici :  Museum > The Maison espagnole > History
History

A building standing in the centre of the medieval borough was already referred to as the “Grande maison du marché” (big market house) in the 15th century. It was burnt down when Bouvignes was sacked by the troops of the King of France in 1554. Its cellars were used as foundations for the “Maison espagnole”.

It was built about 1570 in a Renaissance-inspired, but still Gothic style. The three baroque volute gables were added in the first half of the 17th century. In 1681 it was referred to as “one of the most outstanding houses of the town.”

It was originally the property of Gobert Maistrecocq, a rich ironmaster, and its name alludes to the period when Bouvignes was dependent on the crown of Spain.

In 1888, it became the Town Hall and a boys’ school. When the municipalities were amalgamated for the first time in 1964 by an act of Parliament, the building acquired a cultural vocation.

Today it is owned by the Town of Dinant and has been listed as a historic building since 1948. It has taken on a new lease of life thanks to the public partnership and the support of the European Union.